Sunday, January 18, 2009

Turkish toilets...........








So Turkish toilets have made for some fun stories that is for sure. See before they were introduced to seats on toilets here, they used to just squat over a hole and go to the bathroom. They like to call them squaty potties or old Turkish toilets. So the first practice I was here, I had to go to the bathroom, they pointed towards the WC (water closet) and i got in there and said nooooooooo way am i going to the bathroom in that, and there was no toilet paper!! So I have learned to keep a roll of toilet paper in my gym bag and use it all the time. And since Turkey has gotten a little more modern there are more toilet now with actual seats, so I always ask for those!!!

Some of the pictures are: from our basketball gym. In every business establishment and every gym in Turkey there is a huge picture of this guy Aytac Durak ( i think that is right). He is the guy that basically founded Turkey and put Turkey on the map as far as economically. They worship this guy like crazy and have pictures of him all over the place. There is even a day for him (November 11th) where the whole country stops to remember him for one minute. All the buses, boats, trains, cars, everything. One of my friends said he was on the boat and all of a sudden the engine stopped right in the middle of the trip.

Other pictures: this is the mosque near my house which is near a beautiful walking park, which i have been out to a few times.
The other picture is of me in the mosque. I had to cover my head when I went it. And for those of you who are wondering, not all the women in Turkey have to cover there heads or wear burcas. There is a lot more of that in Istanbul and the farther east you go.

Well thats all for now! Love you all!!

PS. Here is the website for the Turkish league. There is a picture of me in the ones that flas on the screen. I am number 14 and wearing a red jersey. I think it is picture number 17 or 18. Also scroll down and you can see an article about me coming, but its in Turkish :)

http://www.tbl.org.tr/tbbl/index.asp

No comments: